Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner



In the scheme of things, this is not over-the-top offensive, but it does show how the negative stereotypes and cliches about our culture are pervasive.

The Herald Democrat in Texas has a column on its online site called "Good Morning" wherein columnist Ken Studer gets to write about basically whatever he wants. In this column he writes about his wife's "full Italian" aunts coming to visit for a week from Detroit and how all they want to do is eat.

This is how he starts off the article:

We just survived a week-long visit from two of my wife's full Italian aunts from Detroit. I was ready to put myself in a witness protection program just so they couldn't find me to make me eat more food.


Then there's this:

That Saturday we had more than 30 people for dinner. The majority of them were Italian and that was quite an adventure. People were eating, screaming, laughing, babies crying and food being carried through the house like they were putting out a fire. It was a scene from the Godfather movie.


The mob jokes and references are not what's so offensive about this piece. It's the cliches and ignorance that offends.

The problem, as I see it is that this piece was written by a mediocre writer who thought it would be quaint to write about his wife's "full Italian" aunts for his yokel Texas audience who think the height of Italian culture is Domino's Pizza.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ken Studer knows nothing about the Italian cuisine. He claims: "I was ready to put myself in a witness protection program just so they couldn't find me to make me eat more food." For a healthier lifestyle he should eat only the Italian way, because the Italian cooking is part of the Mediterranean diet, the best way to prevent many diseases!
http://www.mediterraneandiet.com/
Tino