Tuesday, May 09, 2006

"Bonasera, Bonasera. What Have I Ever Done to Make You Treat Me So Disrespectfully?"



Chris Thilk, who writes about the marketing and promotion of movies on his blog Movie Marketing Madness, has a recent post about his joining MySpace, the online social web phenomenon.

To illustrate his point that he's a bit older than the teenagers and twentysomethings that frequent MySpace, but he joined because the movie studios that he writes about are making greater use of the online community so he figured he'd better be involved or risk missing out on some good stories, he uses a scene from The Godfather as a metaphor.

Here's how he starts his piece:

I feel like I've caved, kind of like Bonasera at the beginning of The Godfather. I need the help, and I realize what a resource having the help of such a powerful man is. That comes with knowing that one day I will be called upon to do a service for him, one that I might not be ready for.


You can read the entire piece (it's short) here.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, it's not overly offensive. I understand he's reaching for a metaphor to explain his use of the MySpace service–which he normally wouldn't utilize unless he felt it was absolutely necessary. But on the other hand, I'm troubled by the fact that he had to reach back to The Godfather for this metaphor, which really has nothing to do with his situation. It's gratuitouss. It's not necessary. He could have eliminated the entire paragraph and still gotten his idea across.

At least he didn't sat they "made him an offer he couldn't refuse."

Thank goodness for small favors.

No comments: